Friday, March 2, 2012

DIY Floral Hairclips

I'm a sucker for home made gifts. Two years ago for Christmas I set out to create some home made gifts for my friends. As I was cruising around the internet I stumbled upon some DIY flower tutorials. Then it hit me. Hairclips! Flowers in your hair are all the rage recently and I wanted to make sure the gifts I gave were not only cost-effective but trendy. :) 

Below are some of my favorite creations:



I made a few of these felt roses and hot-glued them onto bobby pins. I gave them to my sisters in law for Christmas one year. I haven't seen them wear them- but I was happy with how they turned out and I've definitely considered making a few for me. ;)  I thought bobby pins would be a great choice because you can get a ton for cheap- plus they are perfect for holding hair back or just sticking in for a quick accent.  Alligator or snap clips are a little more visually "bulky" and take more dedication to pull off with an outfit in my opinion. 

Here is the tutorial I used to jump-start my felt roses. I ended up sewing mine together and then stitching the leaf on as well rather than just gluing them. I felt like it made everything a little tighter and "sturdy" since I was gluing them onto bobby pins. (And I know I have a tendency to pull those things out of my hair quick at the end of the day! I didn't want them to fall apart after one or two wearings.)

Then of course we have the gorgeous organza flowers. Don't they look kind of like golden centered poppies? I found the fabric in the bargain bin at Walmart. They were getting rid of a ton and I bought a fairly full bolt for under 5 dollars.  Each flower only needs a piece a little larger than your hand so I was set to make flowers to my heart's content!

Here is the tutorial I used to jump-start these beauties.  I thought the pictures were absolutely gorgeous but I didn't have the patience for all those layers, or to sew on all those tiny seed beads in the centers... so I went ahead and just stuck them all together with buttons! Worked out great.  Not as elegant as the tutorial's flowers, but definitely pretty and could easily go in a more casual direction for any outfit.

I was pregnant at the time and my hubby wasn't a huge fan of me breathing in all those burning fabric fumes (probably couldn't really hurt anything but probably not GOOD for you to breathe in either) so eventually he cut me off- but I managed to get in a good crop of pretty flower clips before-hand and I'm definitely considering making some more for myself and as an emergency gift-stock for visiting teaching etc...


My Friend Ari got in the game too and after we spent an afternoon crafting these flowers, she brought out some pretty card-stock saved from her wedding announcements and we used them as the "base" to clip our gifts too. I feel like it's such a cute touch rather than just throwing them in a bag or something. If you don't have cardstock you could totally use some cardboard or wrap it up in some left over gift-bag tissue tied-up with a ribbon.

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love the felt flowers, I've been wanting to make some of those for Zoey.

    ReplyDelete