Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quick Costume

When my niece turned one last June- my sister in law was throwing a "Old McDonald" themed-party. Guests were encouraged to dress like their favorite farm animals and being 9 months pregnant I was at a loss.  I wanted to think of something quick, cheap, easy, and comfortable.

Brandon and I were also planning to match so that was a challenge.

In the end- we settled on a hen and rooster.  I wish I had gotten pictures of us IN the costumes- maybe my sister in law has some from the party. But this will give you the basic idea.  Because we wanted to be comfortable- Brandon just wore a red polo shirt and I wore a white maternity blouse. 

We both wear glasses so this was the next item I added to our look:


It was actually pretty easy to whip-up these "glasses-masks". I just used some colored yarn and pieces of yellow felt to tie the beaks onto the bridges of our glasses.

Then to complete the look: (please don't judge my swollen ankles!)


I made us some chicken feet by tying more yellow felt onto our flip-flops.

This costume literally took about 10 minutes to put together and turned out really cute. I would have liked to have gotten a little more creative with some feather boas or something but the simplicity worked out perfectly for when we were done being in costume about 15 minutes into the party. ;)

Another awesome thing about this costume is it was cute and fun but still dressed-down enough that I didn't feel completely ridiculous when it turned out that we were pretty much the only adults that were cool enough to actually dress up. 

What are some of your favorite quick-costumes?
Have you ever been to a costume party that wasn't during Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment